Sunday 26 July 2015

Hulk Hogan's firing and WWE's statement and further action.

Well I didn't really intend to discuss wrestling on here as I am somewhat of a past fan. Occasionally I will want to watch a little bit but by and large its a hobby from the past, most of the guys I used to love are either dead or retired, but every now and then there will be something which draws me back, be it someone being inducted as a legend, a special one off match or even a bit of controversy. So here I am talking about wrestling because news has dropped over the last few days about Hulk Hogan. We found out that he had been wiped from the WWE website he wasn't listed as a trainer a judge a legend of anything. The rumours started and everyone seemed to suggest it was about a racist rant he had made. This seemed to be proved true when the WWE launched the following statement “WWE terminated its contract with Terry Bollea (aka Hulk Hogan). WWE is committed to embracing and celebrating individuals from all backgrounds as demonstrated by the diversity of our employees, performers and fans worldwide.” Now there's the horror of learning that Hulk is a little less of a hero than I grew up believing he was but by now I am getting kind of used to that, I grew up during a time when I watched the Cosby show, Jim will fix it and listened to silly Rolf Harris songs, so now I am pretty much expecting everyone I ever watched to pop up as a sexual predator or to just generally be a whole lot less wholesome than previously thought. At first you might say well if he made some racist comments then he got what he deserved but lets remember the WWE (formerly WWF) has not always been the most politically correct of entertainers. I can remember DX donning Black face make up in order to pretend to be the rock and other none white stars. I can remember Vincent Kennedy "Vince" McMahon referring to John Cena using the N word. Now how you take these things depends on where your personal line is when it comes to humour. What does make me laugh though is as soon as they released the statement in regards of Hulk Hogan people started writing articles about there questionable behaviour often including links to videos from you tube videos which have been up for years videos I have shared with other people in the past usually shared along with a message saying ''Can you believe WWE did this? Can you believe they thought it was OK?''. Well now WWE has made claims that the people sharing these were unlawfully sharing there intellectual property. Now they've thrown someone under the bus they want to claim that they are this massive force of good for diversity. I am not so easily fooled though, it is plainly damage control. Just as WWE went all Wellness program crazy when it was found out that absolutely tonnes of wrestlers were injecting steroids this condemning Hogan and making speeches about acceptance is just the next step in always going forward in always trying to keep the brand protected and to be fair I have to respect Vince for the way he has managed to run his business over the years but calling a hippo a horse does not make it one. Blocking the youtube Videos will not make us all forget the things that happened, I don't hate WWE for its miss steps but I do think its wrong for it to try to sweep them under the carpet. How do I feel about Hulk? I don't really know yes he made some racist comments but they were made on a sex tape that the public was never meant to see, that doesn't make it right but it does make it a little harder to judge, we have all probably said something we didn't really mean when angry, which from the brief transcript I read it appears he was (Basically either before or after having sex with his friends wife he was discussing how mad he was with his daughter and how he felt betrayed). I think the erasing him from history idea doesn't really work, people saw the matches, people own the VHS tapes and DVD's WWE made sure that we all have his theme tune burned in to our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...