Monday 3 August 2015

Why its wrong when the female GhostBusters get insulted for visiting a children's hospital.



I wrote on my previous blog about my fears/issues with the new Female Ghostbusters film. To sum it up I was very worried that with the casting choices they had made it would be full of awful jokes and stereotypes. I did however say that I hoped that I was wrong.

I did not intend to write about this subject again for a long time, I basically thought I would see the film at some stage and would either end up eating humble pie and saying that the movie was different or worst case scenario I would be doing a quick sort of ''I told you so'' post.

However recently children at a Boston hospital posted a sign asking “Who ya gonna call?” In response to this the cast of the upcoming “Ghostbusters” remake visited the children at Tufts Medical Centre. Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones showed up in costume and spent time with the children.

Now like or dislike the idea of this film this is famous actresses turning up to put a little bit of sunshine in to the lives of ill children, even if you wished the film wasn't being made it would be a hard to insult people over visiting ill children wouldn't it?

Apparently not as some used the visit as another excuse to criticize the film and its female cast on the hospital’s Facebook page. Moderators of the Facebook page had to warn people against using profanity and also had to remove sexist, racist and otherwise unsuitable comments.

Look I am not going to tell anyone that they don't have the right to criticise the decisions made in regards to a film they feel a connection to. Lots of people have a lot of deep feelings in regards to the films they grew up with and we all get tired of the constant stream of remakes that seem to come up but there is a time and a place. There are plenty of discussion forums on which you can discuss your thoughts and feelings without having to publicly criticise people for doing a charitable deed. You might even argue that they were trying to do this for the publicity and well it could be true but again why do you need to bring this hate to the site of a hospital? If you like the old GhostBusters film then great so do most of us, I personally love it but if you like that film and you like the people involved with it then show them a little bit of respect. Do you really think that Ivan Reitman, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Sigourney Weaver, Rick Moranis or Ernie Hudson would really want people disrespecting those involved in the new film on a hospitals facebook page or throwing around racist and sexist insults on there account?

Surly we can leave criticism of the film and these actress to the relevant places for it and do so in a dignified manner. I will leave the final words to the mother of one of the children in the hospital.

"The visit from these ladies was an uplifting treat. It also wasn't just a promo photo op. They asked about him and chatted with us. No matter how you feel about the movie remake, you should do well to remember that this visit meant a lot to the people receiving it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...