Tuesday 27 June 2017

The SNES Mini my oppinion on its announcment.

Ok so this is not breaking news or anything, every single video game site and even the general press have already touched upon the announcment and upcoming release of the Super Nintendo Classic Mini but well given how many of my posts are related to retro gaming and to the SNES and its libery of games in general I thought I really should throw in my 2 cents.

So first things first if you are wondering about my oppinion on Nintendo's last mini console like this the mini NES you can follow this link http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-mini-nes-and-at-megadrive.html. In short though I thought the selection of games were good but decided to not buy one for various reasons one of which is the fact the NES wasnt something I grew up with, it was something I got second hand latter on and messed about with a bit. In comparison the SNES was my main christmas present one year and it was while the machine was still current. I read magazines about the games, talked to friends about the games and excitidly waited for things to come out. I have more of a personal connection with the SNES and thats why I will be getting a SNES Mini.

So I own a couple of Super Nintendo consoles and about 250 carts already so its not like I am not already playing snes games however some of the games on the machine are stupidly pricy to track down now, so I thought what I would do is mention what games come on the SNES mini and discuse what I think about there choice of games. It is going to contain the following 21 games:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi’s Island

Ok so overall I think its an excellent list of games, the RPG/Adventure games involved Final Fantasy 3, Super Mario RPG, Zelda a link to the past, Earthbound and  Secret of Mana alone represent some of the very best of both there time and there genres. Yet the list is also diverse, with platformers, racers, shooting games. Also in total honesty some of these games are stupidly expensive to pick up for the SNES nowdays in original cart form (yeah you could get repro carts or a flash device but not everyone is either aware of these or comfortable with them). I cant really point to a single game and go that ones a dud, if there is anything on the system I am not that botherd about playing it would proberbly be Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Apparently the Japanese SNES mini is getting slightly diffrent games and there getting Legend of the Mystical Ninja, if I could wave a wand id swap Tubro out for that but its about the only change I would make. Sure not every great SNES game is on there but youd be hardpressed to pick a better 21. 

I think the real Cherry on the top is Star Fox 2, basically because it never got a proper release back in the day and this is the first time its going to be legally available in a form thats actually legitimate and via Nintendo themselves, this is a great move and one I have been crying out for them to make for ages. I also assume that as we are getting Contra 3 and not Probotector also added to the fact that some of the other games never made it out in the EU this unit will be running at 60hz which will be another little awesome thing for those of us who grew up on the pal 50hz SNES. 

I can see there being problems and issues, yes Nintendo have said that the controller cables will be longer than the NES and that they will try to make more to meet demand but its still being made in a limited run apparently and I also imagine that again there will be no usb power plug and manuals will proberbly once again be via scanable code your supposed to use to get them on your phone instead of putting them on the actually machines memory but given the above games and my love for the machine I am more than willing to over look stuff like this and grab one, although I do feel very sorry for those who end up without one, I can actually foresee a lot of people once again ending up very dissapointed. This is why I would strongly recomend that if you have even the slightest intrest in this console you preorder one before they are all purchased by preordering reselling vulturous dickheads who try to pick the bones of our beloved hobby dry. I also dont want to go into another massive rant on Nintendo creating false demand by not producing enough of stuff and allowing people to resell stuff at crazy prices but I will just say in parting I wish theyd sort there bloody act out, I dont think Sony or Microsoft would be as daft, theyd find a way to make all the cash themselves instead of letting scalpers get the lions share, and thats why in my next post I am going to talk about the idea of a Playstation One mini and why I think Sony should and could do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...