Monday 21 August 2017

My opinion on a female Doctor, the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas special and The fate of The Master.

OK so I thought I would do a quick post about Dr Who. There has been quiet a few bits and pieces that I have wanted to post about when it comes to Dr Who but I figured instead of doing a bunch of short posts I would wait till I had enough stuff to really talk about. There will be a few spoilers in here but I will write that its going to get spoilery before it does, there will also be a lot of opinion and conjecture, if you want to comment on this or ask what I think or feel about something Who related then please feel free.
 




So to hit the obvious elephant in the room, Yes the new Doctor has been cast and its a woman. So do I think this is the end of Dr Who? No not at all, lets face it the character is an alien who can regenerate and change his appearance when killed or to be more accurate when either the actor has gotten fed up or the viewing figures are down or the producer is annoyed or well whatever. So lets put it this way if the actress is doing a bad job (not that I think she will) or if the viewing figures drop dangerously low for any reason be it the fact the show actually gets bad or even just too many people find they cant get behind a female Doctor then bang she can just go. She can get exterminated or get poisoned or crash the Tardis or otherwise get badly injured and then boom artron energy shoots from her and new new Doctor. New New Doctor complete with new testicles and instant support from those who were anti female Doctor in the first place. If a female Doctor works it could bring more attention to the show and could have a positive effect on the show and if it doesn't then the show already has a system in place to return things to the original status Que. Do I think Jodie Whittaker is the right Woman for the job? To be fair shes not actually the person I would have picked, I am not anti female Doctor, I just personally would have liked to see someone a little older and well I guess the right word is distinguished as the first female Doctor. I have to admit that despite having people in my head like Judi Dench I cant come up with someone who really fits the bill and would realistically want and be able to do it.

OK so next I want to talk about the upcoming Doctor Who Christmas special (2017). In this episode is that Peter Capaldi’s Doctor meets the first Doctor. Obviously William Hartnell passed away a long time ago, and even if he hadn't then he wouldn't still look the same so how have they gotten around this? Well they have cast David Bradley to take William Hartnell’s part. David Bradly played the part of William Hartnell in the BBC docudrama An Adventure in Space and Time, which told the story of Doctor Who’s creation, this film included scenes in which David Bradly played William Hartnell playing the Doctor so if you have seen this you will have seen little bits of how David Bradly would handle the role of the doctor and in my opinion he was very impressive.

Steven Moffat has said that Bradley’s recreation “is so eerily perfect, it could fool you” and having watched the Christmas trailer I can see why he would say this. I have heard some people grumble about someone else playing the first Doctor but its not the first time this has happened in the 5 Doctors the role was filled by Richard Hurndall who in my opinion did a pretty fine job. From what I have seen I think David Bradley is going to do an even better job I really feel that he is going to knock it right out of the park. So I am fully supportive of David Bradley being used to play this role and the idea of the story itself.

OK so the following bit is potentially full of spoilers and my thoughts on them, if you want to avoid this kind of thing then I would say pretty much stop reading now. It has been teased that viewers will get to see the First Doctor’s TARDIS, which has been “beautifully recreated” now if this is true then all I can say is wonderful, I love things like this, I love the idea of there being a new set out there a set which is an early Tardis, I hope it is not smashed up after its use, I am sure there is some museum which would love to display it or failing that heck why not auction it off for a worthy charity?

It has also been suggested that the Christmas special will bring Twelve’s story full circle, showing that his final moments before regenerating were actually the first we ever saw of him, that just before he regenerates he helps to save Gallifrey. I think that seeing Capaldi and the first Doctors involvement in this important moment would actually be really neat. Apparently Bill is going to be making an appearance as well.

In the 1966 serial The Tenth Planet we saw the Doctor come up against the Mondasian Cybermen, for the first time, this episode was set on the Earth's South Pole and if I am not mistaken that is exactly where it appears that Capaldi’s Doctor has landed. Hartnell’s Doctor made his final regular appearance in the serial during this story, but he was absent for most of it. In real-life, Hartnell was suffering from ill health at the time of filming, and didn’t have the energy to deliver his lines however in the story those watching it were led to believe that the Doctor had collapsed and was resting, while his assistants battled the Mondasian Cybermen.

I might be wrong here but I think that this special is going to show that the First Doctor rather than laying down on his behind waiting to regenerate had actually gone off for one last very important another adventure with his future self? An Adventure which shows the two of them and ends first with the part they both played in the events of the 50th Anniversary and finally with Capaldi's Doctor remembering how hard it must have been for the first Doctor to regenerate and to change for the first time and so giving in to it and allowing himself to let the regeneration process start instead of fighting it.


Lastly I just want to quickly say something about Missy well Missy and the Master. In the last episode when Missy killed the Master and then Master killed her I expected to see at least one regeneration. Heck it had been said that Capaldi would regenerate before the Christmas special so I kind of expected to see 3 regenerations and then I didn't see a single one which was a little bit anti-climatic. So obviously we are going to see Capaldi regenerate at Christmas but what about the other two? I was hoping that if it was John Simm's Master's time to die that we would actually get to see him regenerate into Missy, OK we haven't seen it and we probably never will but I can live in hope right? As for Missy well I don't believe that she is dead dead and wont regenerate, the Master is a well Master when it comes to survival, she will have remembered being the previous Master and having shot herself and will from the moment she became Missy have started coming up with some kind of survival plan, maybe she was wearing something which would stop the blast from being fatal I don't know I am just very sure that she or maybe he will be back, I just know that the Master will not be gone for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...