Thursday 11 January 2018

Nintendo Direct on the 11th of January 2018 my rundown and opinions


OK so today on the at
Nintendo released a Nintendo Direct Mini presentation on us. The presentation lasted about 15 minutes more or less but in all honesty a lot was said in what you would think would be a reasonable short amount of time.

The World Ends With You – Final Remix was announced for the Switch. For those who don't know basically The World Ends with you was an RPG on the Nintendo DS which gained an excellent reputation but in this country at least seemed to be pretty darn hard to get, as such it still demands a pretty high price. To put it basically The World Ends with you Final Remix is a Switch port of this title with HD graphics, touch controls and optional joycon controls. The port is not apparently going to just be a tarted up port it will also have new story content and is going to be released this year (2018) I think this is a great idea, its a game I have often considered buying but never quiet got around to. I think this is a very good news and I am about as excited about it as I can get over a re-release.

 

So Pokken Tournament Deluxe is getting some new DLC characters that we will be able to buy, they will come in two ''Battle Packs'' Wave 1 and 2. Wave 1 will contain Aegislash and support Pokemon Rayquaza and Mimikyu. Wave two contains Blastoise, and the new support Pokemon Mew and Celebi. The battle pack will also  include new avatar items. Wave 1 launches January 31st 2018, with wave 2 following on March 23rd.This doesn't really excite me at all as in all honesty Pokken hasn't really grabbed me, sure I got a second hand copy of the Wii U one but it just didn't grab me at all, I am interested in seeing how much Nintendo charge for these and I am also interested in seeing if there is every a game of the year version in the works including this later on but only from a curiosity point of view.

A demo for Dragon Quest Builders is available from today on the Switch. I have looked at this game and considered buying it for the PS4 quiet a few times, it looks pretty good but I am afraid If I buy it then I will still buy the PS4 version, look at it on the PS4 its an old game you can probably grab on there for very little or you can pay more and have it for the switch, now if you only own a Switch or need to have it in a portable fashion then fair enough pay more but I feel for those of us with other options the release of this game on this platform is a little bit pointless.



Kirby Star Allies was showcased in a trailer showing Kirby's new Painter and Spider abilities. It looked great and in my opinion Kirby always brings home the bacon, he is a great little character and his games are always light fun and charming. I will be excited when this launches which it apparently is on March the 16th 2018.

 

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. OK so its a port of Hyrule Warriors which contains all of the content from both the Wii U and 3DS versions which were previously released. Well I own the Wii U version and don't give a crap about it so in honesty I don't give a monkeys about this re-release. For those who care when docked the game runs at 1080p and 60FPS, there are also new outfits based on Breath of the Wild added for Link and Zelda. Its going to launch sometime in spring 2018 for those who care

 

Mario Aces Tennis was announced for the Switch and with its title it doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that this is a new Mario Tennis game. Apparently the game will feature a story mode and is due out this spring.I have to admit to having always having been a big fan of the Mario Tennis and Golf games and this one looks good so I am looking forward to it.

 

Ys VIII. So a Switch port of Ys VIII has been announced. The Ys games have been around forever and while not as popular as the Final Fantasy games its good to see an RPG coming to the Switch, its already on the PS4 and available as we speak but its not like its in the bargain bins like some of the other titles that have been getting the porting treatment.  It is being released during summer 2018. 

 

Super Mario Odyssey is receiving free update. This update is aimed at players who have completed the main game. The update adds a mode called Balloon Mode. Balloon Mode can be activated by finding Luigi in each Kingdom. Players are given 30 seconds to either hide a balloon in the world, or 30 seconds to find other player's balloons, as part of online leaderboards. This is not everything though apparently the update will also add new outfits, and camera filters, to the game. The update is due in February. Hey its free so there if nothing to complain about at all, in fact  is it sounds pretty decent overall.

 

SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy. Ok so this is an SNK (NEO-GEO) female character based two on two tag team fighting game for the switch. So far so good, I like SNK's stuff and everything but apparently you have to use a special move at the end of each fight to win which doesn't sit right with me but hey maybe it wont be too bad when it launches in summer. 

 

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Donkey Kong DLC. OK so I really really like Mario + Rabbids so new DLC for it adding Donkey Kong to the game, and what looks like new story content in the form of a plot centered around him well this is all good in my opinion. It wasn't made clear if this is the story DLC which is included in the game's season pass but I imagine that it is. The DLC arrives in spring, I haven't finished the game yet but if I am not tired of it by the end of the game then yeah I might give this a bash.

 

PAYDAY 2 on the Switch is getting a timed exclusive additional character called Joy, who is a female hacker with an LED mask. The port launches February 27th. Sorry but to me this is another port that I am just not bothered about, maybe its because I own lots of other platforms and this is a little bit late to the party and will cost most people more than getting it elsewhere but in all honesty YAWN. 

 

Fe is coming to Switch on February 16th. It's a very beautiful looking game  and its been made by a small studio with support and funding from EA so that kind of says little ambitious developer with good source of revenue hopefully this means excellent game but I guess time will tell but I am excited so see what it brings to the table.

 

Celeste is another indy title, basically in it you climb mountains, mountains covered in spikes, it looks decent enough but its not something which is going to blow the world apart, it looks like it will be decent enough but not really my kind of thing. If it sounds like its up your street then you don't have long to wait as its coming out on the 25th of January 2018.

 

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is getting ported to the Switch, with a new mode where Kranky Kong can surf through obstacles. The port releases on May 4th. I cant blame Nintendo for doing this, after all its not like games that came out on the Wii U really reached the audience they deserved but for those of us who had Wii U's and supported Nintendo at that point in time this is pretty much a pointless release. I hope that this game is not released at full retail but who knows I guess we will see soon enough.


Dark Souls Remastered. OK so Dark Souls is getting a Re-master for Switch. A re-master with both  visual and technical upgrades, the new version supports up to 6 player multiplayer but again I dont really care. Dark Souls is old now, and I am not buying things again just to have them on the Switch, I want to play new things not just the same thing again and again.

 


OK so thats everything covered and its not too bad, but I do think that things could have been a lot more exciting in some areas.  I just want less remakes, or if your going to remake something either remake something old where a demand has built up for it to come on stage and take a bow or either add lots and lots of extra stuff not available in other places or lower the price of it on release to reflect its rehashed nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tales from the Crypt DEAD EASY aka Fat Tuesday the lost film

Ages and Ages ago I made blog posts about Tales from the Crypt Presents Fat Tuesday AKA Dead Easy and a few years ago I turned these into a...